Tuesday, October 25, 2011

i was alone...laughing!!

Recently I have been transferred to a new city, I won’t name it. I have travelled many places and parts of the country but this was a unique experience. People here are so serious that it makes me feel they are not humans but humanoids. I know it will be too early to make this kind of comment but this one incidence made me think of it.
We were getting back to the odc after lunch. Here ‘we’ means my new team. I was told that these people are working together since more than 3 years, some greater than that. Anyway, we got into the lift and were waiting for the door to be close, now days each lift has automated door closing mechanism or microprocessor or whatever you want to call it, except some government offices where they want one person to be employed and paid as a liftman. Unfortunately one of the teammate, who was left behind, appeared only when the door started closing. Common situation in all the offices, isn’t it? What do you do if you are inside the lift? One, if he is very close friend, you start shouting and not letting him in and push the close button continuously so that he had to climb staircases or had to take the next lift. Everyone enjoys and laughs including the one who was left behind.
Second, one person will run towards the open button and others will put their leg, hand, book, Tiffin or whatever they have to stop the door from closing. Once the person is in, they will say, ‘see, today I saved your 13 calories, now it’s your turn to pay back, treat us in the evening’.
There can be many similar cases where you just laugh at the situation. But here it was different.  Nobody attempts anything. Somehow the person managed to get in and just stood beside me smiling. There was no single smiling face in the lift although the count was more than 7, mind it the lift has the capacity of 18 here. People busy in staring at the digital numbers in the lift or their watches or their shoes. Nobody utters a single grin but as I am new here I didn’t know the rules. I just said, ‘man that was cool, you made it’. He smiled and I was alone…laughing!
May be in few days I too will learn how not to react or how to become a humanoid.

1 comment: